Tuesday 25 April 2017

How to Make the Fluffiest, Tastiest Omlette Ever! #TipsTuesdays


Today's AtoZChallenge post can be found here: U is for Ursula, Usurian & Uberwald.

So I have never really liked omlettes because I find them rubbery and don't really like the way they often taste. However, then I went on hols to Canada and was served omlettes I loved on more than one occasion, so I investigated. This is what I have found and this technique makes the fluffiest, tastiest omlettes, so I had to share. I've made this recipe for my sister, who has the same objections to omlettes as I do and she approved :). It's like a souffle without the flour!

This recipe is for a cheese omlette, but you could add anything else you liked as well. Just make sure your toppings are pre-cooked and just need heating through.

This is an awesome way to  have a really filling gluten free breakfast - no need for toast to fill a hole with this omlette. The recipe is also suitable for vegetarians as long as you use veggie friendly cheese.

 How to Make the Fluffiest, Tastiest Omlette Ever!

Makes 1 omlette, Time 10-15mins
(If you want to make enough for two really quickly without having to faff and wait while making a second omlette, double the number of eggs, up the time in the oven slightly, and then cut the resulting omlette in half).

Equipment:

  • 1 bowl
  • 1 omlette pan that can go in the oven (if you only have one with a handle that will melt, you can use the grill (broiler) and keep the handle sticking out)
  • 1 electric whisk (you could use a hand whisk, but it will take a lot of elbow grease)
  • 1 spatula

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs (because of the method two eggs makes a generous omlette)
  • a sprinkling of grated cheese (you can add as much or as little as you like, but it really doesn't need much - I used a mixture of cheedar for favour and mozzarella for stringy bits)
  • pinch of salt (I use smoked salt because I like the flavour)
  • pinch of white pepper (you could use black pepper if you like, but I'm not fond of the bits)
  • butter/oil for frying

Instructions:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F or turn on your grill (broiler) to high.
  2. Put the eggs in the bowl with the salt and pepper. DO NOT be tempted to add any of the toppings at this stage or anything that will impede whisking, however, if you want other spices like a bit of cayene or tumeric, now is the time to put them in.
  3. Whisk the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes with the electric whisk until they are a light yellow, very frothy and you can see trails in the mixture. Don't give up too soon - you want the eggs as light and fluffy as you can get them.
  4. Melt the butter in the pan (if you are feeling decedant) or heat the drizzle of oil (if you are feeling healthier).
  5. Add the frothy egg mixture and gently move it away from the sides of the pan with the spatula.
  6. Keep moving the egg gently, allowing the still molten froth to fill gaps that you leave until the omlette is about 50% cooked. It should still look like froth on the top.
  7. Sprinkle over the cheese (or any other toppings). Don't go too made or you will deflate the uncooked part of the omlette.
  8. Put in the oven for 3-4 mins. Check to see if it cooked after 3 and if not, pop it in for 1 more. Remember your pan handle will be HOT - so use an oven mitt or cloth - I forgot at least twice! If using a grill/broiler, pop the main part of the pan under and keep an eye on it to see when it's cooked through.
  9. Fold the omlette in half and serve. (It's really good with avocado).
This is the perfect way to do an omlette for someone who doesn't like any chance of runny egg in the middle, without turning the egg mixture into leather. It also works for those people who like their omlette slightly gooey, because just don't cook it quite so long in the oven and the residual foam in the middle goes lovely and moist.

This is the first technique I have ever used where I actually ended up with a neat, round omlette, as well as a delicious one. The whipping seems to lighten the taste somehow as well. Of course it does mean that my breakfast now takes me 3/4 of an hour - it takes me 30-40 mins to eat the omlette :). Yes I am a slow eater, but it sets me up all morning.

2 comments:

  1. My trick to fluffy scrambled eggs is to add about a teaspoon of milk for every couple of eggs (I eyeball it). A couple of weeks ago I didn't have any milk, so I improvised and added some heavy cream--a little less of an amount than the milk--and that made it even better and fluffier!
    Blog Hopping the A to Z! Underwear Models on my blog today!
    #HotMan Underwear Models

    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry for breakfast and it's nearly time for bed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.